So, as you know, one of my 2015 goals is to bench press 150 pounds. I am currently at 65 pounds. If I increase 5 pounds per week, I will hit the goal. However, I really struggled this last week and want to make sure I am going at this the right way.
My current style is:
Week: 10 reps at 45, 10 reps at 50, 10 reps at 55, 10 reps at 50, 10 reps at 45
Following week: 10 reps at 45, 10 reps at 55, 10 reps at 65, 10 reps at 55, 10 reps 45
It has not been exactly those numbers, but you get the picture. So I did some internet searches on how to increase your bench press weight. These were my favorite tips (along with links to the articles):
Favorite Tips from Bodybuilding.com
* Use your feet. I need to make sure my feet are firmly planted on the floor and not moving around. Pretty sure I am not doing this right now.
* Find the right grip. I have always used a very wide grip, but that may not be the best grip for me. I should experiment with the other grips to find the right grip for me.
* Rest between sets. Again, I am not doing this. I go immediately from one weight to the next. I am not sure I need to rest 3 to 5 minutes, but probably longer than I currently do.
Favorite Tips from Mensfitness.com
* Weak lats. Increasing my overall upper body strength is an unwritten goal. I need to do more upper body work – not just bench press for overall strength.
* Stretch your shoulders regularly. Another thing I should be doing regularly anyways – all over body stretching. I am spending so much time stretching my right leg/foot that other parts of my body is getting neglected.
Favorite Tips from Stronglifts.com
* Bench press twice a week, not just once a week. I have actually started implementing this already. Repetition is the key to learning – especially for your muscles!
* Watch your form. Getting injured doing the bench press would certainly set my goal back. There is no hurry. I really need to take my time and make sure my body is properly setup before lifting.
Have you ever tried to lift to a specific weight? How did you go about achieving your goal?