As I have mentioned before, I am part of the group Move It Monday. MoveItMonday is an international campaign which encourages people of all fitness levels to get moving each week starting on Mondays. We will be challenging you to try a different exercise each Monday for the next 24 weeks (exercises will come out every other week).
Today’s exercise is the lunge hold! Grab your office peeps and see who can hold one the longest.
Tips for a proper lunge:
- Begin with your feet staggered one in front of the other, about two feet apart.
- Activate your core, drawing your belly button in toward your spine.
- Align your shoulders over your hips.
- Keep your trunk vertical through the exercise, no leaning forward or backward.
- Bend your forward knee as you sink down toward the floor through the opposite knee and thigh. The knee of the front leg should align over the mid-foot. The knee of the trail leg should be aligned slightly behind the hip.
- Do not extend your knee beyond your toes.
- After holding the lunge position, come straight up, keeping your front foot flat on the floor and pressing upward so that you work your quads, hamstrings, and glutes when coming up.
Don’t forget to do the lunge holds on both sides!The Lunge Hold - How long can you hold it? A @MoveItMonday Fitness Challenge Click To Tweet
Share your results in the comments below! What’s your favorite “lunge” type exercise?