Hello and Happy Monday! This is the fourth challenge in the Move It Monday fitness challenges. Don’t forget we will be going through August with a new challenge every other Monday. Past Move It Monday Challenges:
This week’s challenge is my least favorite, but it might be right up your alley. The Burpee Challenge. Sigh. I don’t believe in burpees. So, follow along or choose one of the past challenges to repeat.
Tips for a proper burpee:
- Bend over or squat down and place your hands on the floor in front of you, just outside of your feet.
- Jump both feet back so that you’re now in plank position.
- Drop to a push-up. You can also drop to your knees here, which makes the impending push-up easier.
- Push up to return to plank position (this can be a strict push-up, a push-up from the knees, or not a push-up at all (i.e., just push yourself up from the ground as you would if you weren’t working out) – your choice).
- Jump the feet back in toward the hands.
- Jump into the air, reaching your arms straight overhead.
Why I don’t believe in burpees:
- Burpees can be super hard on your knees and low back. These are commonly injured parts of your body and sometimes they will never heal properly. Treat them gently and with love. You can still get in a great workout without including burpees.
- Burpees are not for the novice or beginner exerciser. Hardcore athlete or in the military? Go right ahead. If not, do some squats, THEN do some pushups.
- If you are prone to dizziness the process of going high-low-high can cause issues – you could black-out, faint, etc. This can be very dangerous anywhere and especially in a gym setting with all the equipment around.
So, there you have it. The Burpee Challenge and why I don’t believe in them. Seriously.The Burpee Challenge. A @MoveItMonday Fitness Challenge. Do you love burpees or hate them? Click To Tweet
Do you love burpees or hate them? Would love to hear your thoughts!