Hey East Tennessee – I have a race for you to check out! While I have mentioned I am personally burnt out on color races (4 in 12 months), I wish I had found out about the Flying Colors 5K much sooner than I did. This is a LOCAL race fully supporting a LOCAL charity.
Flying Colors 5K is a color event, but is LOCAL with 100% of the proceeds going to Harmony Family Center at Montvale. There was a lot of bad press about how much money the national races donate to local charities. And many of you have chosen to skip those races. If you want more of your money going to charity, this is the race you want. Get just as colorful and have 100% of your proceeds go to a worthy local charity.
Harmony Family Center purchased Camp Montvale a few years ago and they are renovating and restoring it to run adoptive family camps, other camps for kids and families, equine therapy, conferences and retreats, etc. They are a non-profit, so they have to raise all of funds to do so. They recently held the Mudder’s Day 5K mud run in May, and are hosting the Flying Colors 5K color run on September 14 at Maryville College. All the proceeds from both events will 100% benefit the Montvale property and operations!
Here are some of the details as of now (subject to change):
Harmony Family Center – Flying Colors 5K
Saturday, September 14
9:00am start time
Begins and ends at Maryville College, 502 East Lamar Alexander Parkway, Maryville, TN
* Distance – 3.0-3.1mi (hopefully they will read my past posts and make sure the race is 3.1 miles)
* Parking – All on Maryville College campus (I have been to this campus and there is plenty of parking)
* Restrooms – Non-color powder bathrooms available before the race at the Clayton Center for the Arts; Port a potties at the finish line (LOVE this – before and after restrooms)
* Color – 5 color powder stations, plus The Grand Finale at the finish line!
* Staff – Volunteer staff (wearing volunteer shirts) will help with parking, traffic, registration, etc. (They are still looking for volunteers!)
* Photos – They are planning to have photographers on the course, at the finish line, and milling around snapping shots. No guarantees, but they hope to catch everyone!
* Goodies – White t-shirt, sunglasses, and other sponsor offers
* Proceeds – 100% of the proceeds will go Harmony Family Center at Montvale. Read more about Harmony Family Center at http://www.harmonyfamilycenter.org.
This is a NON-timed event and is definitely family friendly. I see TONS of kids (even in strollers) at color events, so bring the whole family. The goal of these races is not to see how fast you can go, but to see how colorful you can get and to raise money for the charity.
Tips if this is your first color race:
- Sunglasses or eye protection is helpful
- WEAR WHITE
- Bring towels and/or blankets to wipe off with before you get in your car
- Put your camera/phone in a ziploc bag to protect it
- Don’t go with the intention of getting a specific time – GO FOR THE FUN
Unfortunately prior commitments prevent me for walking or working this race, which is why I wanted to help and promote the race on my blog. I would LOVE to hear from those of you who are participating or volunteering. They still need VOLUNTEERS and SPONSORS. If you can help, let me know in the comments or shoot me an email and I will get you in touch with the race director.
Enjoy your day!