Yes, I know it is not summer yet. However, next week the temps in Knoxville are expected to be in the high 80s. Like 89. Before May. That tells me that this summer is likely to be brutal. While I certainly enjoy being able to get outside and get some sun and fresh air, you have to be careful about working out in the summer heat (and humidity). So, whether you are walking, running, hiking, etc; here are 9 tips for battling the summer heat.
1. Plan your workout for early in the morning or late in the evening. If you can (I know some can and many cannot), try to get your workout in first thing in the morning while the sun is still coming up or later in the evening as the sun is setting. With the longer and longer days, this can be a challenge I know.
2. Find a shaded path or place.. However, shaded paths (especially at dawn or dusk) can be great places for people to hide, so always pay attention to your surroundings or workout with a buddy. My favorite walking path is a loop and has a few shady stretches. On the hottest days, I will walk back and forth under what little shade is provided.
3. CARRY WATER WITH YOU. This is HUGE. When you start feeling thirsty, you are already on the way to being dehydrated. I know you might be carrying your phone, walking a dog, or pushing a kid in a stroller. You still need to figure out a way to carry water with you – especially if you will be out for more than 1/2 hour. Also consider having a cold bottle waiting on you in the car as well for when you finish.
4. Wear loose cool clothes in light colors. Shorts, a sports bra, and a tank top (optional). Minimize your clothing and make sure they are cool. You might also want to wear a hat or visor as well as sunglasses.
5. Don’t forget sunscreen. Even early in the morning and later in the evening the sun’s rays can be intense. Make sure to put on sunscreen when you go out. Don’t forget your face. You might even want to wear a hat or visor to protect your face. I will be honest and say that this is a step I often forget.
6. Move it indoors. Just too hot? Workout inside. There are plenty of online videos you can do at home or join a gym in your area. One of my favorite places to workout in the summer is the cardio theater at our gym. Dark and cool.
7. Try a pool workout. The summer is a great time to try new things and why not make it an aqua aerobics or aqua yoga class? Get a great workout in while staying cool at the same time.
8. Slow down or shorten your workout. Don’t be afraid to slow your pace or shorten your workout during the summer.
9. Listen to your body. Finally, listen to your bosy. Feeling light-headed or dizzy? Stop immediately. Seek out shade and water. Seek professional help if needed.The temps are rising! Here are 9 tips for exercising in the summer heat! #FitFluential Click To Tweet
What tips do you follow for working out in the summer heat?